Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Barcelona!


Hey everybody! sorry I haven't written for a while, we've been really busy so I'm a couple weeks behind. I've had to rush these posts a little just to get back up to speed but I hope you enjoy them!






the HUGE indoor Marquette a short walk away from our apartment. 
Wow, I finally finished 1984 bringing my total of books competed up to six on this trip. But what an incredible book! In my opinion all members of the United States government should read it before being allowed to run for office. Next on the reading list is Bill Bryson’s “Neither here nor there” and Dostoyevsky’s “Crime and Punishment”.
Today we signed up for a tour of the city or rather a historical walk focusing on the 1937-1939 civil war in the Iberian Peninsula and into the Fascist rule under General Francisco Franco. My head is buzzing right now with everything he shared with us and if I remember ¼    of it ill be very pleased. Apart from the three of us and our English guide (Nick) there were 4 Scotts, 3 Irish and a couple from some where in the E.U. there were all incredibly nice people but (especially the Scott’s) were nearly impossibly to understand. It was almost a four hour long tour so at the end we all went to “La Libertad” coffee bar for a bight to eat and too study their old civil war propaganda posters. Spain has such a festinating yet bloody history and I don’t think any one person could understand it thoroughly. 

Propaganda posters from the Spanish civil war.

Tomorrow we’ll be leaving Barcelona bright and early around 5 in the morning if all goes according to plan. Its too bad, I wish we could stay another couple of days, this is one of those few places where I could see myself coming to live some day. I guess it’s a good back up plan if Mitt Romney becomes president! (it’s a toss up between here and Canada).
Oh and one last thing I forgot to mention. Yesterday (the day after the visit to Sagrada Familia) we visited the Picasso museum here, it was amazing to see how much his artwork changed throughout his life, I heard someone say that: When he was young he learned to paint as an adult and as an old man he learned to paint like a child. 
The neighborhood Cathedral

No comments: